I can’t help being a Red Sox fan

Even though the Sox blew a four-run lead and lost to the Rangers 5-4, it was an excellent evening at Fenway even before the game began. We sipped crisp and chilly Stellas while watching the groundskeepers tidy up and the players warm up. As part of Disability Awareness Night, a capuchin helper monkey threw out the first pitch. And just as Peter Rometti’s rather shaky version of the National Anthem began to crumble midway through, the entire crowd joined in to help him along. As corny as it may sound, I was deeply moved to be part of 37,000 people singing with gusto and to see the look of joy on his face.

8 Responses to “I can’t help being a Red Sox fan”

1. Heather says:

Visit Heather

Baseball games can be pure magic, glad you had a lovely evening!

The helper monkey pitch? There are just no words.

3. Dave says:

Visit Dave

Thank you for the kind words for Peter. We’ve all got problems, Peter’s happen to be apparent. Give him credit, though, he sang in front of 37,000 people, faltered and they helped him out. I couldn’t do that. We’ve known him for years and are glad he did it.

I certainly couldn’t do it either. I hope he could feel the crowd’s respect and admiration. For me, it was a moment where it seemed as though peoples’ differences melted away and I felt connected to everyone. What a gift.

5. Sue says:

Visit Sue

Here’s a close-up of the monkey. Sooo adorable!

6. Cam says:

Visit Cam

as my friend and i said to each other as the anthem was finished, “that was the best national anthem ever.” it was simply an amazing event

7. MisCon Mike says:

Visit MisCon Mike

I, too, was there. As I’ve said before, my eyes started to well-up. I get goosebumps even now, just *thinking* of what transpired! There was this uh-oh moment that turned into a brief oh-no! moment, that worked it’s way into a :50 WOW! event!! Peter did a marvelous job - and one that goes beyond singing the National Anthem. THANKS!!

8. Scot Currier says:

Visit Scot Currier

I am in Oklahoma City and caught the game on a local station here since we are in the Ranger’s area. I saw what happened with the anthem and thought it was awesome. I can’t imagine being there. Rock on!